To activate your Roku® player or Roku TV™ when you first use it, you must also create, activate, and link a Roku account using an activation link that will be sent to the email address you provide.
How to activate your Roku device
Once you have followed the hardware setup instructions included in the Quick Start Guide that came with your Roku device, you are ready to follow the on-screen setup and activation known as Guided Setup.
During Guided Setup, you will be prompted to enter an email address to begin the activation process. The email address you select will be associated with your Roku account, so be sure to pick an account you regularly have access to. Your Roku account stores which Roku streaming devices you own and which channels you have installed, as well as your preferences and settings. It’s important to have a valid email address associated with your Roku account in order to manage your account and to receive important account notifications. Similarly, you should choose a strong, secure password.
Learn more about what you can do with your free Roku account and how to create one. Keep in mind that Roku will never charge you a fee to activate your device or create an account. Learn more about how to avoid fraudulent websites and protect yourself from activation and technical support scams.
Keep your smartphone or computer handy, as you will need to access your email in order to verify your account. When you are ready to activate your Roku device:
- Connect your Roku device to the internet.
- When prompted, enter your email address:
- If you already have a Roku account, log in using the email address associated with your account.
- If you are creating a new Roku account, you will be required to add a payment method to set up Roku Pay.
- Use your computer or smartphone to access your inbox and locate the email from Roku with the activation link. If you cannot locate the message, be sure to check your spam or junk folder.
- Open the email from Roku and select the activation link.
- From the Roku website, follow the instructions to create a free Roku account or log in to your existing account.
You must complete all steps on the website before returning to your Roku device. Once all steps have been completed on the website, you will see ‘Setup complete!’ Once you complete the activation process, any streaming channels you selected during the process will be downloaded and installed, and after a few moments your Roku device will be ready to use. You may remove or update channels at any time after the activation process has been completed.
What to do if you don’t receive an activation email from Roku
If you do not receive an activation email from Roku after completing the activation steps, there are a few things to check to ensure you are able to receive the email and complete activation. If you still do not see an activation email in your inbox, try the following:
- Wait a bit longer. In some cases, it can take several minutes before you receive the activation email. Be sure to wait a few minutes before moving forward with troubleshooting steps.
- Confirm that you entered your email address correctly. Email addresses are not case sensitive, but extra characters that may have been added by mistake can prevent an activation email from arriving in your inbox.
- Check your spam folder. Your email may be set up to automatically block emails from unrecognized senders and place these messages in a spam or junk folder. You may need to go into your spam folder and accept Roku as a recognized sender to ensure that the activation email, and other Roku emails appear in your inbox.
What to do if your Roku activation link does not work
If the activation email troubleshooting steps did not resolve your issue, or if your activation link is not working, return to the on-screen activation on your Roku device and:
- Press Star on your remote
- Select Edit email
- Re-enter or update your email address when prompted
- Check your email for a new activation link
If you continue to have issue receiving the activation email, try to activate your Roku device using a different email address.
Troubleshooting activation link errors
If you see an error during the activation process, or get stuck on a specific step, search the Roku support site to learn more about how you can resolve issues activating your Roku device.
Keep in mind that the activation link expires30 minutes after being sent to your email. If you see ‘Your account activation link expired’ or ‘We can’t seem to reach you by Email’ when trying to use the activation link, tap ‘Resend’ on your Roku device and another email will be sent. After a moment, look in your inbox for another message from Roku with a new activation link for you to try.
If you continue to see either message after receiving a new activation link, try activating your Roku device using a different email address.
Troubleshooting other activation issues
If you need additional help with your Roku device, please visit the Device issues section on the Roku support site.
Remember that when you first set up your Roku device, you will be prompted to connect it to the internet using Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable. You must complete the on-screen instructions to connect your Roku device to your home network and the internet before you can proceed with activation.
Linking a payment method to your account at the time of activation will allow you to purchase subscriptions for channels and services available through the Channel Store with ease. You will also be able to add Premium Subscriptions on The Roku Channel, rent or buy movies and TV shows, and purchase Roku upgrades, offers, and accessories.
If you wish to prevent unauthorized purchases, learn how to create a PIN for your Roku account.