Roku Express (model: 3900) supports resolutions up to 1080p Full HD and ships with a Standard IR remote. This article describes the product in more detail and outlines the setup steps.
- Note: Roku Express model 3900 is 5x more powerful and replaces Roku Express model 3700. The same steps can be used to set up both models.
Will Roku Express work with my TV?
Roku Express will work for any television with an HDMI® connection. We recommend using the High Speed HDMI Cable that came with your Roku Express. You can order additional cables from the Roku accessories store.
Setting up your Roku Express
- Follow along with the tutorial video below, or download the Quick Start Guide.
- If necessary, attach your your Roku Express using the adhesive strip.
- Make sure the correct TV input is selected on your TV (the input to which your Roku Express is connected). You should see the Roku logo on the TV screen as your Roku Express powers on. Help is available if you do not see a picture on your TV or you have problems with your remote control, or see a solid red light or flashing red light on the front of the Roku Express.
Going through Guided Setup
- Choose a language
- The first screen you see will allow you to choose a language. All text and dialog within the Roku application will be displayed in the selected language.
- Scroll up and down the list and press the OK button on your Roku remote to choose a language.
- Note: It is the responsibility of the channel publisher to translate their channel and some channels may not support your chosen language.
- Connect your Roku Express to the internet
- Choose your wireless network from the list of available networks and enter your password. This is most often the same network you use to connect your computer or smartphone to the internet. If you do not see your network, select Scan again to see all networks. For more assistance, see help finding your wireless network and password.
- If you want to see your password as you type, choose Show password. This can help prevent entering the wrong password. Remember, passwords are case-sensitive. Use the shift button on the on-screen keyboard to enter a capital letter.
- Once you have entered your password and selected Connect, your Roku Express will automatically connect to the internet. Alternatively, you can get more help if you are unable to connect to your wireless network.
- Wait for your Roku Express to download the latest software
- Once connected to the internet, your Roku Express will download the latest version of Roku OS software and then reboot.
- Set the display type
- Select Set display type and let your Roku Express auto detect the best display resolution so you don’t have to manually configure the settings. To change the display type at a later time, go to Settings > Display type.
- Create a Roku account and activate your Roku Express
- In order to activate your Roku Express, it must be linked to a Roku account. Your Roku account keeps track of which Roku devices you own and allows you to add free and purchase channels from the Roku Channel Store.
- Instructions for activating your Roku Express will be displayed on your TV, including an activation code; e.g. “XCV5TG”. You will be required to visit roku.com/link on your computer or smartphone, enter the code and follow the instructions to activate your Roku Express.
- Note: Roku does NOT charge for device activation. When entering roku.com/link into your web browser, type it carefully to avoid fraudulent websites.
- You are done!
Once you have completed all the activation steps, your Roku Express will be ready to use.